A photographer’s day out exploring dramatic coastal landscapes and world-heritage listed convict sites
Awe-inspiring sea cliffs | Impressive geological formations | Compelling convict history | Birds and wildlife
On this photo-oriented day tour, visit the Coal Mines Historic Site, a unique site that is part of the epic story of convict discipline and punishment on the Tasman Peninsula. Situated amidst a coastal forest, the natural beauty and picturesque surrounds of this area somewhat contradicts the bleakness of the convict era. Alternatively, you may visit the Port Arthur Historic Site – the larger, iconic historic convict site in the area.
The Tasman Peninsula is a mass of land in Tasmania’s southeast of which a considerable area is protected by national park. It has a myriad of natural wonders including Tessellated Pavement, Tasman Arch, Devil’s Kitchen, Remarkable Cave and the highest sea cliffs in the southern hemisphere. It was on the Tasman Peninsula where early colonists selected a site for the penal settlement of Port Arthur.
You’ll spend time exploring the spectacular coastline where an abundance of birds and wildlife call home. There may be plovers on the shoreline, eagles overhead, or even whales in the bay! You’ll gain an insight into the Tasman Peninsula’s fascinating history too – from the 30-40,000 years of indigenous occupation, the convict era and European settlement through to the lifestyle of today’s Tasmanian.
Most of all, you’ll return to Hobart at the end of the day having enjoyed an immersive photographer’s day out.
(recommended departure 8.00am)
Private transport in comfortable & spacious SUV
Professional local guide providing insightful commentary
Photography hints and guidance
National park entry
Meals and refreshments
(catered picnic lunch available)
Port Arthur Historic Site
(entry fee may be added)
Enhance your experience
To personalise and enrich your overall experience, you may like to consider one or more of the optional enhancements available for this tour (selected at time of booking your tour).
Meal and refreshments
Maximise your time enjoying the outdoors, bypass the need to self-cater, eliminate queueing to order. Let us cater a delicious morning tea and picnic lunch for you.
Port Arthur Historic Site
Personalise your itinerary to include entry into the Port Arthur Historic Site instead of the Coal Mines Historic Site.
Please be aware that the planned itinerary will need adjustment to ensure sufficient time.
An epic birds-eye view of all the grandeur from a helicopter. Hover high above pristine beaches, spectacular sea cliffs and more. Option of 15 or 30 minute flights.
Add an accompanying expert photography tutor
Include more photography instruction into your day
(ideal for groups comprising a mix of photographers and non-photographers)
Add an overnight or more
Ask about our tailored multi-day tours and weekend retreats. Mt Field is easily visited en route to Tasmania’s south west, north-west and central highlands regions.
Private tour prices
1 participant (solo): $780
2 participants: $395 per person
3-4 participants: $270 per person
5-6 participants: $170 per person
Book online now
Enter the number of participants, select the date and time and click ‘book now’. Follow the prompts to complete our booking form and process your payment.
Please enquire if your preferred date is marked as not available.
Frequently asked questions about this tour
- What is a photo-oriented tour? On a photo-oriented tour, Shutterbug Walkabouts will take you sightseeing, wildlife spotting and birdwatching. Along the way, your professional and experienced guide shares a narrative about all things Tasmanian, while helping you capture unique images, not just snapshots.
- Is this a tour for me? Do you enjoy immersing yourself in nature, wildlife, birds and local history? Whether you’re a photographer or non-photographer, this tour is ideal for you. As it’s a private tour, activities are easily adapted to focus on what interests you most.
- Who is my guide? Coreena has over 20 years experience and loves to share her knowledge with those who are passionate about nature and wildlife. She approaches each tour with attention and care, ensuring you achieve all that you set out to do.
- What vehicle will I travel in? You will travel in a stylish and spacious SUV 2016 Toyota Kluger that seats up to 6 passengers* plus driver. (*5th & 6th passengers will be seated in a 3rd row, best suited to persons of smaller stature).
- What is the benefit of enhancing my tour with a catered picnic lunch? Opting for us to organise your meals will allow you to maximise your time enjoying the outdoors – you’ll bypass the need to self-cater and eliminate wait times sometimes experienced when ordering meals at a cafe or restaurant.
- How/when do I include enhancements with my booking? During the booking process, you will be given the opportunity to select from a range of enhancements we recommend for your tour.