An array of natural wonders in Tasmania’s oldest national park
Waterfalls | Fungi | Ferns | Native flowers | Birds and wildlife
Sub-alpine and rainforest habitats | Eucalypt forests | Glacial landscapes
A typical day
Departing Hobart we travel north-west following the Derwent River to New Norfolk and on to Westerway, on the banks of the Tyenna River. The journey takes you through the birthplace of Australian hops where oast houses of the yesteryear form part of the stunning landscapes that Tasmania is renowned for.
Arriving at Mt Field National Park we make our way to Lake Dobson. The environment changes from tall forests to alpine moorland and a glacial landscape reminiscent of the Gondwana era – contrary to what you may expect, the diversity of plants actually increases with altitude! Enjoy a leisurely walk around the lake through ‘Pandani Grove’ and a habitat for endemic flora, native birds and wildlife, maybe even a platypus will grace us with its presence. Your photographic inspiration is sure to be awakened by the stunningly rugged alpine scenery.
You’ll be enchanted by the easy walk through a forest of ferns and fungi to the magnificent 3-tiered Russell Falls – watch out for wallabies and pademelons too, or even a platypus in the creek! Further along the trail we pause at another spectacular waterfall, Horseshoe Falls, then, into the Tall Trees Forest where you stand in awe beneath towering eucalypts – the tallest flowering plant and one of the tallest trees in the world, known as swamp gum or mountain ash.
(recommended departure 8.00am)
Private transport in comfortable & spacious SUV
Professional local guide providing insightful commentary
Photography hints and guidance
National park entry
Meals and refreshments
(catered picnic lunch available)
Enhance your experience
To enrich your overall experience, we encourage you to consider one or more of the optional enhancements available for this tour (selected at time of booking your tour).
Meals and refreshments
A delicious morning tea and picnic lunch featuring local Tasmanian produce and sweet treats. Individual dietary requirements and preferences are catered for by request.
Add an accompanying expert photography tutor
Include more photography instruction into your day
(ideal for groups comprising a mix of photographers and non-photographers)
Add an overnight or more
Ask about our tailored multi-day tours and weekend photography retreats. Mt Field is easily visited en route to Tasmania’s south west, north-west and central highlands regions.
Private tour prices
1 participant (solo): $780
2 participants: $395 per person
3-4 participants: $275 per person
5-6 participants: $170 per person
Book online now
Enter the number of participants, select the date and click ‘book now’. Follow the prompts to complete our booking form and process your payment.
Please enquire if your preferred date is marked as not available.
Frequently asked questions about this tour
- What is a photo-oriented tour? On a photo-oriented tour, Shutterbug Walkabouts will take you sightseeing, wildlife spotting and birdwatching. Along the way, your professional and experienced guide shares a narrative about all things Tasmanian, while helping you capture unique images, not just snapshots.
- Is this a tour for me? Do you enjoy immersing yourself in nature, wildlife, birds and local history? Whether you’re a photographer or non-photographer, this tour is ideal for you. As it’s a private tour, activities are easily adapted to focus on what interests you most.
- Who is my guide? Coreena has over 20 years experience and loves to share her knowledge with those who are passionate about nature and wildlife. She approaches each tour with attention and care, ensuring you achieve all that you set out to do.
- What vehicle will I travel in? You will travel in a stylish and spacious SUV 2016 Toyota Kluger that seats up to 6 passengers* plus driver. (*5th & 6th passengers will be seated in a 3rd row, best suited to persons of smaller stature).
- What is the benefit of enhancing my tour with a catered picnic lunch? Opting for us to organise your meals will allow you to maximise your time enjoying the outdoors – you’ll bypass the need to self-cater and eliminate wait times sometimes experienced when ordering meals at a cafe or restaurant.
- How/when do I include enhancements with my booking? During the booking process, you will be given the opportunity to select from a range of enhancements we recommend for your tour.