An immersive nature and wildlife experience
Nature walks | Panoramic views | Rainforest habitat | Alpine landscape | Birds and wildlife
Mount Wellington is the magnificent mountain that famously backdrops the city of Hobart. From the foothills to ‘The Springs’, the ‘organ pipes’ and the pinnacle, its natural environment is diverse. On this tour you will explore its impressive landscapes, rainforest, fern glades and sub-alpine habitats. With leisurely walks along nature trails, you will experience many a variation in nature that the season brings. From the summit, experience breathtaking views over Hobart, the Derwent River and beyond. Nicknamed ‘the mountain’ Mount Wellington is a playground for locals and visitors alike – a living museum waiting for you to discover, experience and photograph.
Spend the afternoon at Bonorong – a wildlife sanctuary dedicated to rescue, rehabilitation and release of Tasmania’s native wildlife. There is an array of Australian animals to meet and learn about, including the iconic Tasmanian Devil, Bare-nosed Wombat and Forester Kangaroo. With enclosures representing each animal’s natural habitat, this is a fantastic opportunity to improve your techniques for wildlife photography and develop your understanding about the characteristics of each species – there is a chance to hand-feed the kangaroos too.
(recommended departure 8.30am)
Private transport in comfortable & spacious SUV
Professional local guide providing insightful commentary
Photography hints and guidance
Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary Admission
Meals and refreshments
(catered picnic lunch available)
Enhance your experience
To enrich your overall experience, we encourage you to consider one or more of the optional enhancements available for this tour (selected at time of booking your tour).
Meals and refreshments
A delicious morning tea and picnic lunch featuring local Tasmanian produce and sweet treats. Individual dietary requirements and preferences are catered for by request.
Exclusive 30-minute private animal encounter
An up-close and personal experience with one of Bonorong’s adorable critters – and more time to master your techniques for eye-to-eye wildlife photography.
Add an accompanying expert photography tutor
Include more photography instruction into your day
(ideal for groups comprising a mix of photographers and non-photographers)
Add an overnight or more
Ask about our tailored multi-day tours and weekend retreats. Mt Field is easily visited en route to Tasmania’s south west, north-west and central highlands regions.
Private tour prices
1 participant (solo): $800
2 participants: $420 per person
3-4 participants: $290 per person
5-6 participants: $190 per person
Book online now
Enter the number of participants, select the date and click ‘book now’. Follow the prompts to complete our booking form and process your payment.
Please enquire if your preferred date is marked as not available.
Frequently asked questions about this tour
- What is a photo-oriented tour? On a photo-oriented tour, Shutterbug Walkabouts will take you sightseeing, wildlife spotting and birdwatching. Along the way, your professional and experienced guide shares a narrative about all things Tasmanian, while helping you capture unique images, not just snapshots.
- Is this a tour for me? Do you enjoy immersing yourself in nature, wildlife, birds and local history? Whether you’re a photographer or non-photographer, this tour is ideal for you. As it’s a private tour, activities are easily adapted to focus on what interests you most.
- Who is my guide? Coreena has over 20 years experience and loves to share her knowledge with those who are passionate about nature and wildlife. She approaches each tour with attention and care, ensuring you achieve all that you set out to do.
- What vehicle will I travel in? You will travel in a stylish and spacious SUV 2016 Toyota Kluger that seats up to 6 passengers* plus driver. (*5th & 6th passengers will be seated in a 3rd row, best suited to persons of smaller stature).
- What is the benefit of enhancing my tour with a catered picnic lunch? Opting for us to organise your meals will allow you to maximise your time enjoying the outdoors – you’ll bypass the need to self-cater and eliminate wait times sometimes experienced when ordering meals at a cafe or restaurant.
- How/when do I include enhancements with my booking? During the booking process, you will be given the opportunity to select from a range of enhancements we recommend for your tour.