Connect with nature through photography, with a private tour to
A truly special place to explore – spectacular natural beauty, abundant wildlife and an intriguing history
Magnificent seascapes | Mountain landscapes | Close-up wildlife encounters | Endemic birds
Remnants of an early convict and colonial settlement
A typical day…
Departing Hobart we travel north along Tasmania’s stunning east coast to Triabunna and board a passenger ferry across the Mercury Passage to Maria Island during which we hope to be fortunate to see dolphins, seals, whales and seabirds.
We arrive at the jetty in Darlington, a former convict penal settlement and probation station of the early-mid 1800’s, and at the site of a historic stone building, the Commissariat Store. Alighting from the ferry you will be surrounded by breathtaking scenery and an abundance of nature – one of the local wombats may be there to welcome you too. The walks we take are not overly challenging and the relaxed pace allows you to immerse yourself in all the sights while enjoying many a wildlife encounter and plenty of time for taking photos.
We traipse over the grasslands and along the coast to Painted Cliffs in one direction and Fossil Cliffs in the other… from stunning golden swirls on the cliffs created over millions of years through iron oxidisation to fossils embedded in the limestone of Fossil Bay. You will walk across a landscape steeped with history, pausing at historic structures on the way – many of these structures reminiscent of the convict era. wombats, kangaroos and Cape Barren geese are just some of the species of wildlife you are likely to encounter… Imagine the photos you could take!
Making our way back to the jetty where the wombats will try to lure you to stay, we’ll re-embark the ferry for our return cruise to mainland Tasmania followed by the journey back to Hobart.
Please be aware that there is no motorised vehicle transport on Maria island. You will explore on foot at a leisurely pace (about 10-12kms; less if you prefer). It’s a relatively easy undulating path; no mountain inclines.
Access to Maria Island is by passenger ferry (included).
Confirmation is subject to ferry seat availability on the date of travel. Ferry operator terms and conditions apply, incl. non-refundable ferry fares.
Private transport in comfortable & spacious SUV
Professional local guide providing insightful commentary
Photography hints and guidance
Return passenger ferry transfers
National park entry
Meals and refreshments
Note: there are no shops on the island. You will need to self cater (BYO) or add a catered packed lunch to your booking
Enhance your experience
To enrich your overall experience, we encourage you to consider one or more of the optional enhancements available for this tour (selected at time of booking your tour).
Meals and refreshments
A delicious morning tea and picnic lunch featuring local Tasmanian produce and sweet treats. Individual dietary requirements and preferences are catered for by request.
Add an accompanying expert photography tutor
Include more photography instruction into your day
(ideal for groups comprising a mix of photographers and non-photographers)
Add an overnight or more
Ask about our tailored multi-day tours and weekend retreats. Mt Field is easily visited en route to Tasmania’s south west, north-west and central highlands regions.
Private tour prices
1 participant (solo): $875
2 participants: $470 per person
3-4 participants: $335 per person
5-6 participants: $225 per person
Book online now
Enter the number of participants, select the date and click ‘book now’. Follow the prompts to complete our booking form and process your payment.
Please enquire if your preferred date is marked as not available.
Frequently asked questions about this tour
- What is a photo-oriented tour? On a photo-oriented tour, Shutterbug Walkabouts will take you sightseeing, wildlife spotting and birdwatching. Along the way, your professional and experienced guide shares a narrative about all things Tasmanian, while helping you capture unique images, not just snapshots.
- Is this a tour for me? Do you enjoy immersing yourself in nature, wildlife, birds and local history? Whether you’re a photographer or non-photographer, this tour is ideal for you. As it’s a private tour, activities are easily adapted to focus on what interests you most.
- Who is my guide? Coreena has over 20 years experience and loves to share her knowledge with those who are passionate about nature and wildlife. She approaches each tour with attention and care, ensuring you achieve all that you set out to do.
- What vehicle will I travel in? You will travel in a stylish and spacious SUV 2016 Toyota Kluger that seats up to 6 passengers* plus driver. (*5th & 6th passengers will be seated in a 3rd row, best suited to persons of smaller stature).
- What is the benefit of enhancing my tour with a catered picnic lunch? Opting for us to organise your meals will allow you to maximise your time enjoying the outdoors – you’ll bypass the need to self-cater and eliminate wait times sometimes experienced when ordering meals at a cafe or restaurant.
- How/when do I include enhancements with my booking? During the booking process, you will be given the opportunity to select from a range of enhancements we recommend for your tour.